Monday, September 17, 2012

Boot Camp and Cookies

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!  The church is true and nothing else matters… And because the church is true, I have SOOoooo many things to be grateful for and to talk about and to smile about and sing about and… it’s just great! :) Sounds like BYU lost their football game, well that stinks!  I'll bet it gave grandpa heartburn, and the rest of you are depressed for the next couple days... haha, good ol' BYU. 
Yeah, so pretty much one of the best weeks of my WHOLE MISSION.  I've had such an eye-opening week, and it's been full of inspiration and guidance and love and...man, just such a great time.  So Monday afternoon, Sister Folsom took off to Gdańsk and I hung out with the Reed's at their apartment.  We ate some delicious soup and rolls and listened to a cool talk by one of the general authorities. (I'm sorry, my memory is so horrible, and dad that's probably why I don't remember your mission stories... arg...)  Then we went to pick up Sister Bezdjian.  O.k. so I was nervous because I've seen this girl in action, the first day we were in the mission home, my companion was talking to me about life and the happiness of the mission home, itd, and Sister Bezdjian took Sister Ostler into another room and they were PLANNING and she was telling her about the next week and all the lessons they had set up, etc.  Sister Bezdjian was only in the mission for 3 months before she TRAINED... this woman is A-MAZING... and she's just like a super hard worker.  I was worried that I wasn't up to par and such, but she gets here and she's so sweet and so awesome, and still a super hard worker!  So we got to tract that night, she's a head shorter than me, sorry I didn't take any pictures of us, but it was funny to see her try to talk into the domaphone sometimes...  And we just had a good time and talked about our companionships and I got to see how she contacted and tracted and the next day was super awesome too.  I probably just had my jaw hanging open part of the day because of how many names and numbers we got when she was here for just 24 hours!  We just ripped it up!  And my confidence in that 24 hours went up like 50% as well... it was super weird... but super needed.  Her polish isn't all refined like sister Folsom's is, but she still can whip stuff out and she memorizes stuff during the day instead of talking about nonsense... and man... she's like boot camp with cookies all mixed together and I LOVE HER STYLE!  I so want to serve with her later, I think she'd be really good for Poznań, and for me, I didn't get to learn all I wanted from her.
Then when Sister Bezdjian left on the train Wednesday, I was by myself for like four hours and I made PHONE CALLS!  Yeah, Sister Bezdjian gave me enough confidence to make PHONE CALLS in POLISH... should have been trying that long ago, but it was sweet... I still had to sort of talk myself into it and write a few things down, but I got to call and a couple people answered and understood me and, no sweat, it was alright in the end :)  Haha... oh boy, it was just awesome.  I also made some apple crumble stuff for Sister Folsom when she returned because she's always baking for me.  So it was just fun, I needed some alone time, to really pray out-loud by myself for a good half an hour, just soak up the fact that I can improve, we're going to step it up, and yeah, it was just great.  Elders are lucky they get exchanges all the time.  We get so stuck in this world, we're really isolated and I don't have a clue what other sisters are like - only heard other sister's voices like 3 times in the past 3 months.  Speaking of months... this week I'll have been on my mission 5 months ALREADY!  CRAZINESS!
So Stephen Parker got himself hitched this week, I see.  Good pick, she's beautiful!  And I wish I could have been there, Congratulations!  Gregg, you packed yet?  I'm writing you a letter TODAY and gunna try to send it.  Also, Jack gets home the 3rd of October and I think speaks the 14th, if you guys want to go, that'd be cool, his whole family came to my farewell, so... yeah. 
We sometimes do what is called a whiteboard here in Poznań where we write a question on a whiteboard in a very crowded place and then ask people to answer it.  Like, "What question would you ask God?"  or "What brings you happiness?"  So this last week we decided to write "What is true love?"  We didn't realize how awkward that'd be for the elders, haha...but it was pretty funny, just to see their faces.  They said it was so weird to say that to a girl...and as well to say it to any guy...so that was just funny!  But I got to talk to a SUPER sweet MOM!!!  And her baby boy was chasing a pigeon at one point and she took a BOOK of MORMON and I got her number and we called her and she said we can meet in a few weeks.  Man, SO EXCITING!
Some of these pictures, so one was taken just a few minutes ago of me and my companion :) HI from the Poznań library! 
Some of them are from the Bazar, the market place, I thought it was cool some of the apples were called JAMES apples...!!!  Oh and they sell huge sunflowers...not sure what for, I mean the seeds of course...but... yeah.  And then they braid their garlic and there was an old woman selling those... The APPLES are in season and we've got BUSHELS and BUSHELS of APPLES, people just kept giving them to us so we had to think of new things to make with them...
O.k. so a few wise things:
If you look for spiders, you'll find them.
Sister Folsom HATES spiders, so it's kinda funny when we go ring domaphones and there's a spider, sometimes I have to do the whole building by myself - okay that's probably only happened once - haha, but here's the wise thing.  If she's not thinking about them, or looking for them, she's not bothered.  So in life, when we have something that bothers us, or we're looking for those things, life's gunna really be hard.  So apply Elder Uchtdorf's two word sermon and STOP IT, if you do that... There are much better things to look at.  Look for the GOOD things, because surely, if you look for spiders, you'll find them.
The Lord can draw a straight line with even the most crooked of sticks.
My dad sent me that poem, 'The Touch of the Master's Hand' last week, and it reminded me of this statement that sister Folsom found in an old Ensign.  It's so true!  God can do so many great things with us, his humble, no good, rotten servants!  Even if we are the weakest of the weak, he can make us strong and build us up.  It's mighty beautiful, I'd say!
The stars are still there, my dear.
No matter where I am, even in this crazy busy city, the stars are still there!  I saw what looked like the Big Dipper the other night and it just made me so HAPPY!  I love the stars!  They make me feel... at home.  God exists, no matter WHERE you are!  So believe in him, because HE BELIEVES IN YOU!
Mom, question, how many women are in our ward Relief Society?  How many in the Stake are you over?  We're going to try to help this woman get started with Visiting Teaching assignments here in Poznań and I was just wondering about that... man the dynamics are so different here... 
One more quick miracle story.  So we looked up some formers in our Area Book and found a family, we didn't have their phone number so we had a little adventure roaming all around Poznań looking for this address yesterday.  Oooh, what fun!  So we found it!  And at first they weren't going to let us talk to them, but we just chatted and the young girl, Matilda, opened the door and she was so sweet and I tried to talk to her while Sister Folsom talked to the mom and dad.  They live in a really run-down place, very poor, but in the end we got Matilda's phone number and her parents!  Matilda wants to come to a young women's activity!  We only have one young woman, but maybe we'll get another one!  HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE!  I already love this girl, she's 12 and has curly brown hair and she's skinny and tall and it just seems so... RIGHT that we got to meet them.  I don't think the parents really wanted us to have their number, but it'll all work out.  Her little brother came out at the end of the conversation and reminded me so much of Hyrum.  He was probably about five and had blonde hair.  I asked him his name - he's named after the last Polish pope, Jan Pawel the second :) haha... and I shook his hand and said, 'Jak się masz?'  he goes 'SUPER!!!'' = ) SO CUTE!  Man... I'm excited to see where that one goes.
O.k. so assignment for the week...Fight Satan... just keep fighting.  I know sometimes it seems like you can't hold your sword up anymore, you can't put on your armor today, it's too heavy... Sometimes it feels like the army is too loud, too large, too threatening.  But there are more than us than there are of them.  You DO want to be on the Lord's side, because he ALWAYS wins... he ALWAYS makes his free-throws and last second field goals... :) And if you're on his side, you'll always come out on top! 
I love you all, thanks for you're prayers, they're SO FELT.  I had SUCH a good week. 
Keep fighting the good fight of faith! 
- Sister Amber Allen
There's not many trucks in Poland... so I just had to get a picture with one of them :)
LOVE YA!



5 Attached files| 17.2MB

No comments:

Post a Comment