Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Polkadots, Trucks, and Gyros


 Good Afternoon!  The sun is shining, and I am happy again, what about you?  If you're not happy, have you thought about Christ yet today?  If not, I challenge you to do so, He's the BEST bet at making you happy, I promise it! 
    Alright, once again I have so much to say...and so little time, so here goes.
    First off... there was this one time I was walking up hill towards this one temple and I saw this one truck... and I was like, NO WAY...no it can't be... and I started to walk away...but then I looked closer and I was all like, 'Sister Ostler, I think that's my truck!' and we walked over there and sure enough...there was a wooden tailgate with my old name in it (now my name is Siostra Allen)!  HAHA!  I couldn't believe it.  That was pretty funny dad, you're great.
   Second thing I wanted to mention was the food this week.  I ate a gyro for lunch the other day and it was like someone had killed me and I went to heaven... It was SO YUMMY!  Can't tell you how yummy... and have I told you about the grahm cracker ice cream and the sugar cookies here?  Delicious!  Anyways, the food isn't really all that bad.  Sometimes they don't have anything on the menu that I particularly like but for the most part it is quite yummy.  The Tomato Basil soup, the wraps, etc. I also found LEMONADE this week... i think it was this week... time really mushes together and I appologize in advance if I repeat anything I've already included in previous e-mails/ letters to you!
   O.k. so I just want to share a bunch of stories that have been shared with me that I LOVED:
   The story of the Butterfly:  There once was a small boy who went hiking with his dad.  They found a cucoon and a butterfly inside struggling to get out.  The boy really wanted to help the butterfly so he asked his dad to help the little thing.  Well the dad said they could cut open the cucoon but as soon as they'd done so, the butterfly fell to the ground, dead.  The little boy was so sad!  Then the dad explained that in order for the butterfly to survive, it must struggle to open it's cuccoon.  The nutrients won't get to it's wings if it doesn't struggle, and the wings won't dry out either, if they aren't worked out.  If you don't let the butterfly struggle, it's wings are damp and they don't have any nutrients and they just die.  The moral of the story - God lets us struggle for a REASON.  We only become who we are meant to become through our STRUGGLES.  So be grateful for them, and learn what you are supposed to learn from them!
    The story of the sand box.  Our choir leader in the MTC told us this story of his mom when he was a small boy.  He was a mamma's boy and loved being at home.  He said kindergarten was fun, but being at school all day for first grade was super hard for him.  He would make it to about 11:00 A.M. and then he would get so homesick he would throw up and really be litterally sick.  This went on for a few months I think he said and then the principal called him and his mother in and said maybe he should just wait until the next year to come back to first grade.  The mom asked the principal if she could have a few minutes with her son.  So the principal leaves and she asks him, what can I do for you?  If there is anything I can do to make it so you'll stay at school, I'll do it.  Then the little boy told his mom that right outside the window of his classroom there was a sand box.  If his mom would just sit in the sandbox, everytime he'd get homesick he'd look out the window and see his mom and everything would be alright.  She DID IT!  Haha... every day for like 3 months, she sat in his sandbox for what is that...like 6 hours a day.  Ever since then he's done anything his mother asked him and tried to be the best kid he could be!  haha, WHAT A MOM!  The selfless sacrifice our moms give us is so great and we should always be so appreciative!  (And what a silly MTC Choir conductor - he's awesome :))
     The story of the Restaurant... A man spoke to us a while back about how he and his family went to Olive Garden and sat down to order food, looked at the menu for a while, you know, and then the waitress comes out and instead of taking their order, she says, 'I bring you your food now.'  The family is all confused, because they didn't even order!  Then this woman brings out a salad and in her heavy accent she sayd, 'It's a beautifuly salad, no?'   Haha, the way he told it was so funny.  Turns out they make really good friends with this lady - she's older and from Italy I think.  The family loved going there just to visit their friend.  They went there for birthdays.  Then one day one of his daughters died in a car accident and they contacted this waitress to tell her about it and she cried with them because she knew this girl so well.  It was just such a great story about friendship.  I wish that everywhere you go you'd make a friend.  And be sincere about it!  Speaking of friends, I made about eight new ones at the temple this morning, two sweet old ladies a younger sister who has been back from her mission to SPAIN for a year an a half (I asked her if she knew Cheris, she said no), and the five people who I did initiatories for.  I learned this morning that that's one thing that I love the temple for - MAKING FRIENDS!!!  That's what it's all about, everyone getting back to God because we LOVE eachother!
     Alright, well, I want you to do some things for me.  My brothers, I want you to look up a guy named Paora on Mormon.org, watch his video.  SO COOL.  And mom, you should watch Jane Clayson Johnson's video as well as type in 'Polkadots' - I want to be a 'Nutter' like her someday!  Did you all watch the Spoken Word on Mother's day?  We are able to watch that here and it was SO good!  Makes me want to be a mom!  Hey but I still want to be a missionary right now, I'll get to the mom stuff later!
     OH!  We had another apostle this last week, Elder Christofferson came and spoke!  AND my old choir teacher was the organist for Tuesday's devotional and I got to go say hello.  The Spirit was so strong when Elder Christofferson came into the room, I felt really blessed.
     What do we know about our cousin Josh Allen?  Where is he, have you talked to him?
     My right hand's pinky is worn out from writing so much :)
     I've got five minute left, and I just want to give you some District Pride, I hope that's alright.
     Elder Bokinski - he's our new District Leader, he lead us in setting District Goals last night and it's gunna be GREAT.  He's an awesome leader, a bit OCD :) but I enjoy him in our district, he's awesome.
     Elder Register - he is Elder Bokinski's companion.  He is an only child and he has a testimony like I've never seen, he's so strong!  I'm grateful for his influence and humble attitude in our district.  He's got a cool southern accent :)
     Elder DeShazer - he draws dragons.  He is really funny, and has a strong testimony.  Comes from a big family - bigger than mine, if I remember right.  And his dad died of cancer a few years ago.  This Elder is so strong, and I admire him.
     Elder Ressler - he is a great big brother, I can just tell.  He loves his little sisters, which is so awesome.  I'm grateful for his example.  Everyone says he's going to be a good public speaker, I can definitely see it.
    Elder Raines - He is one of our Zone Leaders and he's pretty funny too.  He's a good leader, as well, and has a great attitude towards life.  He's always suggesting testimony meetings and stuff.  He draws well and I'm learning how to write my name graffitti style from his example.
    Elder Jesperson - He went to Timpview, he's got red hair, and he's really tall.  He's quiet most the time, but when he speaks, it's always a good time.  He knows how to say the word fanny-pack in polish.  It means (litterally translated) small bag worn about the hips.
    Elder Skomolski - his family is from Poland, but he's from America.  He's a bit older than the other elders, but not much.  He's smart, very smart, and likes to talk alot.  We're grateful for him in our district too, great guy.
    Elder Rittmanic - He also went to Timpview and played football and sang in the choir there.  He was our district leader, he's pretty great, funny, big blonde guy.  He and Bokinski like to scare me.
    Well the church is true!  Love ya!
- Siostra Allen

2 comments:

  1. I think Kogi is still the victorious one when it comes to combination tacos. I was pleased by my lunchtime from the Komodo vehicle.

    Lone Mountain Truck Leasing Review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss gyros. Really good ones, like the ones I used to eat in the bottom of the mall they closed down near the SLC temple. I can't get them in Princeton, WV. So I am glad to hear that you are enjoying them. Maybe I should learn how to make them.

    But more than liking gyros, us Richardsons are liking you and your work. Keep it up.Rishi

    ReplyDelete