Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Purple Keys, Milk-Offs, and Memorial Days


      Guess what!  Chicken.... Oh wait, I'm a missionary... can't really say that one... okay.
      Today is Memorial Day!  I am thinking of my family in Idaho going to the cemetaries this morning and seeing Grandma Henderson's grave and Gregg's, etc.  I think about Grandma every time I wear pink or bright green, and I think about her and Grandpa being mission presidents all the time, what it must have been like.  Thanks for the notes and the pictures this morning!  I wish I could jam with the cousins, and see all your faces... but no offense, I'd rather be here, because this is where I need to be, eh!?  I love the MTC.  Have I said that yet?  It's just so great and happiness is everywhere you turn, you can't miss it!
      So Shayla, you're stinkin' AMAZING!  You beat my mom in the hurdles!  After like 20 years!  Haha, that's so cool, I told my companions and they both think that's pretty sweet-sauce.  And I'll hold you to that letter-writing stuff, I love letters!  Tavia, the food here is good for the most part, it just gives you gas...haha...yep.  And sometimes it does feel like it's getting a bit old.  I don't know how they could change it though, they're trying to feed like MASS quantities of people, so home-cooked meals just aren't very practical here.  So I can't complain.  Tasha...The 'Burg' is like Rexburg, yeah?  And Shon, thanks for the very short message...and pictures... :) Love you all too!
      Be aware, the rest of this message will be largely scatter-brained and sorta crazy.  I apologize, but it'll be fun, right!?
      Alright, so guess what I had for dinner last night?  Half a bread-stick, half a banana, a sugar cookie, and 7 1/2 cups of milk.  Yeah, an Elder in our district challenged me to a 'milk-off' - I knew he'd gotten to 6 cups the last time he did a milk-off and I knew I could do at least six, so I nervously said alright, I'll do it...I'm pretty sure he let me win... BUT I WON! :)  Haha... the after-effects were not super comfortable...but I'd do it again (If I won) any day.  After all, our family does have a history of buying like 8 gallons a milk twice a week...right, Mom?  I should be used to lots of milk in my stomach!
     Once upon a time, a strange district was playing volleyball...The game had been pretty normal, until one moment, it all changed.  The volley ball came at Elder DeShazer in slow motion...it hit his arms, then his face, then his arms, then his face, then his arms, using all three of the teams touches...haha... he was helpless to do anything but stare in disbelief, as were the rest of his district.  His face was bleeding!  In Polish, this sentance would be phrased, 'DeShazer bled by the means of the volleyball.'  Yeah.  It was pretty epic. 
    Also, I told a story in Polish this week about how when I was young I stole bubble gum from a store.  Mom, tell me if I'm imagining this story - I remember stealing bubble gum from the old Turtle Reams and you saw me with it later, I remember being in a pick-up...and then we had to go back and you made me apologize to a superintendent of some sort...and I had to walk up a huge flight of stairs to do so...am I remembering any of that correctly?  Was that even me?  Oh, I have such a bad memory as it is, but remember when I was like five or four...nie dobry.  Um, yeah, it was fun to share the story though, and talk about the steps of repentance through it. 
     O.k. lets get to the good part:  This week I really have been trying to FEAST when I do my scripture study and not just NIBBLE.  I've really tried to go into my scripture study with a question, with a purpose, with a goal.  I want to be able to learn or feel something so strongly during my study that I want to share it with my companions!   So that's been a great help.  I can totally see the effects of the FEASTING on my daily life, I just have a better day.  It's amazing how something so simple can really help you.  I challenge every one of you to SHARE something you learned while you FEASTED this week.  And I challenge you to FEAST, not nibble.
     Also, yesterday in Relief Society, which is basically like devotional style with a lady speaking to us, Sister Janice M. Brady told us all about the lessons she's learned from her downsyndromed 28 year old daughter, who actually was sitting on the stand with her.  It was so great to hear this talk, the spirit was SO strong.  She told about a time when Annie, the down-syndromed girl, was watching her older sister prepare to get married.  Sister Brady was worried that Annie would feel left out, but Annie seemed really happy and just in-tune, knowing that what her sister was doing was really great.  Anny said to her mom one day, 'Mom, I get married like Sissy when Jesus comes."  She said it like a statement, not like a question.  It was SO COOL.  And I just felt the spirit so strong.  It also reminded me of Rachel, God loves her so much!  There was another story she told about Annie where Annie had had a really bad sickness and Sister Brady was up all night helping Annie.  Annie threw up a lot that night and they had to change her clothes and her bedding more than once.  At 2:00 A.M. they sat on a sofa waiting for Annie's bedding to dry in the dryer and both Mom and daughter were super exhausted.  Then Annie looked at her mom and touched her face with a shaky hand, she said to her mom, "I sorry.  I love you."  Sister Brady said she knew Annie was trying to thank her, but those were the words she knew how to use and that's what she said.  She applied it to the Atonement.  We all need to take time to curl up at the Savior's feet and simply say, "I'm Sorry.  I love you."  It was so great.  I cried a lot that meeting.
     If there's anything I love about the mission, it's the INSPIRATION that just goes from person to person.  Inspire someone today, would you?  Motivate them.  Give them a reason to move on today!  The gospel is in OUR hands, it's OUR time, and it's pretty awesome.  An Elder in our district read us something - I'm not sure what it's called or where to find it, and I was going to tell you where it was but didn't remember... it's in the Book of Mormon or D&C I think - It's the statements talking about how Joseph Smith sealed the Book of Mormon and D&C with his blood.  "He lived for glory and died for glory" it said - how cool is that!  Are you living for glory and dying for glory?  What are you doing with your time!?  Joseph smith did more for this earth than anyone save Christ - it also said that in there.  It was so cool and the spirit was so strong then as well.
     I just know the church is true.  I know that the Book of Mormon is true.  I know that the pioneers did SO much for us!  We just need to prove ourselves too.  And do it with our families and with love.  I hope that you all have a superb Memorial Day!  And that you give everyone hugs for me... yup, hugs!
     O.k. well there was more I was going to say, but I don't have time, we'll have to send out some letters.  I LOVE YOU ALL!  Stay safe while driving, be good, say your prayers.  Love ya!
- Sister Amber Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment