Monday, November 12, 2012

Potatoes and Carrot Cake

Dear Family,

       Well, I’m no longer chora (aka SICK) – and I’m SO GRATEFUL!  It really stinks to be sick.  I don’t know if I was being a wimp or if it was really just that nasty but I felt so, so gross.  I would drift in and out of sleep and had the worst fever ever… haha but at least it was funny!  Sister Bezdjian had a good time with it.  One time she tried to feed me some bread and I like fell asleep while she was putting it in my mouth and then… oh yeah she was complaining about how she thinks someone destroyed some records that we should have in our apartment of members – their teaching records from before they were baptized, we don’t have some of them – and so I tried to quote Star Wars – you know when they destroy the records and Obi Wan is trying to find the Bounty Hunter and can’t find that planet… He comes and asks Yoda and Yoda asks the younglings and they say, ‘well somebody destroyed the records.’  - Yeah, tried to explain that part while I was deathly ill… was pretty funny I guess, I got some laughs out of it anyways…
        Yeah, but besides that, after a blessing from the Elders, and telling my MOTHER that I was sick (thanks for the prayers mom, I wished I could have told you earlier that I was sick so I could get some mama prayers, those always work 200% of the time!) – I got all better and now we’re working hard as ever.
 
So: Some funny/ awkward stories:
          This week we taught a lady named Jagoda – which means blueberry, I think, in Polish.  Well she’s got a 2 year old, maybe 3… and randomly during the lesson she started breast feeding him in front of us.  Yuck.  He’s WAY too old for that, my good woman…
          Haha, then this guy came into the chapel and asked if he could use the bathroom…’Sure’ – so he goes in there, and doesn’t shut the door.  Then Sister Reed walks by and shuts the door for him, and makes this face, -- you know the ‘Oh my chicken what is he doing!?’ kind of look – haha, yeah.
What else… oh yeah, not so funny – we just double scheduled ourselves this week and forgot to buy stuff and it was sort of stressful…but we made it through and now we’re back on schedule and we learned from our mistake and we’re going to do better.
 
We ate at a cool pizzeria and watched the guys making pizza throw the dough up in the air and swing it around and make the big crusts – super fun, and delicious. 
 
We watched The Restoration video in Polish with some neighborhood kids and their big brother Bartek, ate popcorn, cookies and sok (juice).  By the end, there was popcorn all over the floor, the kids were stealing cookies to take home, and they also didn’t want to leave.  But we gave them a book of mormon – the picture book version – and that was super fun.  We had our member, Natalie, there with us and it was good for her to be an older sister for the night.  I wonder if she ever babysits… she’s an only child.
         Speaking of Natalie – So I was wondering if the Young Women in our ward, preferably the beehives – but really whoever wanted to – I was wondering if you could send a picture of yourselves with your testimony to Natalie and then maybe I could get her to send her picture and testimony to you guys.  If you want to, you could write it and then try to translate it on-line, or I could just try to translate it here…or both… I just think it’d be cool.  She’s always saying how she wants more young women her age to be in church with her and so we can have activities.  I feel so bad for her, I was SO LUCKY to have such a big group of girls my age with the same belief system I had.  I was SO BLESSED to have friends in High School who I could go do baptisms for the dead with, or attend a early morning fireside with!  YOU ARE SO BLESSED!
 
A few things I’ve learned lately:
From Marlena, our sweet recent convert, who is currently sick and probably at home in bed.  We visited Marlena last night and our lesson was on Baptism and Confirmation.  As we talked with her she told us about how before her baptism she was sort of shy and always felt lonely and sad.  After her baptism and activity in the church, she said she was more confident, that now she could talk to anyone – Even OBAMA, she said! Haha, I thought it was pretty funny that out of anyone she chose Obama to be brave in front of.  Cute.  And she says that even though she lives alone, she now never feels alone.  I wonder sometimes, what it would have been like if I hadn’t had the gospel.  I wonder, and know that it would have just been harder.  There really IS SOMETHING THAT HAPPENS to people after they are baptized.  The Holy Ghost is REAL.  It’s not something we just talk about!
 
Speaking of the Holy Ghost, I had a really cool experience this week when as we walked home from an appointment and we were about to turn down the street to walk home when I felt like we should keep walking.  Sister Bezdjian later told me she had felt the same way so when I suggested it out loud, she agreed whole heartedly.  So we keep walking and the first people we see are this young guy and girl standing out on the door step smoking and chatting.  I felt like my stomach kind of leaped or something and sort of felt pulled towards them.  Immediately we walked up to them and started a conversation.  I remember that the way I contacted was really weird.  It wasn't super interesting and didn't say anything fancy, may have just said, 'hey I'm Sister Allen, what's your name?  What are you guys up to?'  Anyways, it turned into a full on conversation and we were able to give sort of a whole Restoration lesson there on their front porch!  We gave a book of mormon to the girl and she said maybe we could chat later.  This whole experience was just AWESOME and I KNOW I saw the hand of the Lord in our lives that day.  The Principle I learned was this:  ALWAYS listen to the Spirit, ALWAYS!
 
 Also, last night we had a lesson with an older member of our branch, named Bożena.  She’s upset with an investigator in our branch who she feels has offended her.  It’s pretty ugly.  Thing is, I don’t think this offending stuff has really been happening as much as she thinks – a lot of it is just built up from months and months of callouses of the mind!  You know, when you think about something long enough it starts to make it’s ugly head bigger… So we suggested she talk to this investigator about it and work things out. Well, she’ll have none of that, she said, no sir.  It just made me sad.  Are you going to let imagination get in the way of friendship?  What if things really aren’t all that bad and all you have to do is talk about it?  Really, people, COMMUNICATION!  Sister Bezdjian read me something this morning about how Moroni was a man of great understanding, then she looked up synonyms for understanding and somewhere found communication.  So Moroni, yeah that guy who shook Hell and if every man (or woman) were like unto him, the very powers of Hell would be shaken forever, yeah that guy – he’s a man of great communication.  You better believe it.  We really need to talk things over with people, in a kind and gentle way, but really just be open and HONEST.  If this world were just more honest with itself! 

Want to hear some MORE cudowny things?  Miraculous, that is?  We had like 30 people at church this week!  THIRTY!  Okay there was more like 28 or 29, but still, THAT’S A TON!  I was STOKED!!!
We woke up Sunday morning and all we did was peel potatoes and make carrot cake and Jesus Bread for like 2 hours.  Man… we had so much to bring – but the OBIAD (Lunch/Meal) after church was delicious!!!  We also had these things called Rogale, they’re special to Poznań and it was a holiday celebrating this guy who came in on a horse and usually gave money to the poor, didn’t have money at the time, but his horse lost his shoe and the peasants sold the horse shoe and had enough money to live, so now they make these super yummy pasteries in the shape of a horse shoe and they’ve got almonds on them and almond flavored filling and they’re seriously DELICIOUS!
Yep, what else…
We are really trying hard to get to bed on time!  We seem to have so much to do at night time recently.  Filling out teaching records, etc.  At the same time, it's so AWESOME that we have so many teaching records to fill out!!!  I also want to just make sure we're taking things at a pace in which the Spirit can keep up with.  If we're moving too fast to feel the Spirit, that's besides the point!  I also am working on saying nothing negative.  It's hard!  Not because I say negative things all the time, but I've realized I do say them more than I thought...in small ways. 

 Basically, my companion and I are doing SO great.  Especially now that I'm feeling completely back to normal health and we're just ripping it up again in Poznań.  We heard about Sister Ostler going home because of sickness, and we're not sure how to handle that, super sad!  I hope you are okay, girlie!  Also, Sister Folsom, I've got a present for her from Pani łucja and I'll try to send it if I get the chance, just don't know where to send it.

Thanks, everyone, for your prayers and smiles.  I can feel them even over here in Poland!  I love you all SO VERY MUCH!  I read something this morning in Preach My Gospel that said, we are helpless without the Atonement of Jesus Christ - and it's true.  Remember as you're being THANKFUL this week, that Christ suffered and died for you.  But I know he lives!  And loves us! 
Much love,
- Siostra Amber Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment