Monday, April 15, 2013

When the going gets tough, the Tough get GOING!

This is Amber's mother again. My son taught me how to get the photos on this here blog, so lots of fun pictures from last week!!
Dear Family,
Yay for Kim Butcher!  And Scott Henderson congrats on his call!  And congratulations to Bryant Smith.

I think I'll answer Spencer's questions as the rest of my e-mail and then I've really got to fly!

How's it going?
     Seeing as today I get to go on an EXCHANGE to KATOWICE, I'm super stoked.  And the sun is shining, and today is not Saturday so I'm happy!
How hard was it to learn Polish?
      What are you talking about?  I have not learned polish yet.  I am LEARNING polish and will probably ALWAYS be learning polish.  It's super hard...AND I LOVE IT!
Are you still learning some new stuff or do you have it all down?
       Please see the above statement.
Is their any similar words in English and Polish?
       Tak!  Such as: autobus = bus...  balloon = balon... e-mail = e-mail...(pretty much all the words invented in the last 30 years are the same as they are in english...so like scan = skan) and there are others, I will make a list and send it to you.
How are the two languages different? Are they really really different or what?
       Yep, pretty much completely different. 

ha ha, that was fun...



there is a camera on this computer...





The old lady is Ada.  She thinks she can't leave her house... yeah right, my girl Elżbieta is like twenty years older than you and still walking to church!  But I still love Ada, she's a hoot.  Sister Howells and I keep it real with Ada, we think she likes it....

 me starting to build my fantastic snowman


on a lunch break in front of Stalin's Tower in Warsaw, Poland... what is this crazy life?  Aaah!  I love it!

me and my awesome snowman!



And some pictures close to the Metro in Warsaw!

Do you know some Russian because of your ability to speak Polish?
        No...I don't think so... send me some Russian and I'll tell you if I understand it...
So on P-day can you go play basketball or soccer or anything? Do you juggle at all or what? What all do you do on P-day? Laundry, shopping, exercising, what else?
       We can play sports on P-day, yes.  But usually we don't have time.  We have to do laundry, shopping, and cleaning.  Today I have even LESS time because I have a train I have to catch to go to Katowice.  I haven't practiced Soccer since I was in Poznań with Sister Bezdjian... :( I miss it.
What was the weather like there?
       Well, it's been pretty nice lately, the last like four days.  There was some rain, and clouds, but definitely sunshine sometimes too.  I'm not even wearing a coat today!  Just a sweatshirt! :) yaya!
I was going to try and study PMG every week, have any tips?
       Read it from front to back.  Learn the order of the lessons in Chapter 3... the headings and the flow of the lessons.  think of questions people will ask you about your church and how you would answer them.
What about scripture masteries? Should I just memorize them all or should I memorize them all and get to know a few really well?
       I've been memorizing them as I get ready for the day and as I exercise in the mornings.  You should memorize them all, as in where they are and what the idea is, but yeah just memorize your FAVORITES really well.  God will put you where he needs you and he knows your strengths so he'll work with them.  Also, USE your scripture masteries...like during the day think of times when they would apply and quote them out loud.
Are there some that you use a lot?   
     yeah, but I think it's because I'm in Poland - with a bunch of catholics and they have some similar questions...not sure which ones you will be using.  But like Mosiah 3:19 Natural Man is an Enemy to God... Moroni 8 talking about infant baptism.  John 3:5 you MUST be baptized to enter into the kingdom of God... 2 N:2:25, you're here to find HAPPINESS!... just to mention a few...
In PMG do you use the Restoration lesson a lot?
     That's the one you teach the most.  Learn how to teach it in 3 minutes or less!
Which lesson should I get to know the best?
     All of them... really you already know them, just make sure you know the scriptures that apply to every part of it and see if you can teach it without notes... also think of random people and weird situations where you may have to teach!
So the ladies who got baptized on Saturday do they count as your baptisms?
    I don't know how to 'count' someone as 'my' baptism... but I would say yes.  I did not find these ladies though, they found the church themselves.
Yes, I know I'm nearing my Year Mark.  It's crazy.
Elzbieta and Czesława.

 our awesome english student, Angelika and her grandma.  LOVE THEM!

Also a quick story I sent to my president today:
The elders in my district are angels. I love the priesthood, and in a good way. I was really stressed,  

(Amber wrote this part to her mother -Well we didn't have an opening prayer, he didn't show up, then we couldn't have the one Elder be a witness because he doesn't speak polish...and then we didn't have the keys to the font and i felt like a lot of things were going wrong, when really not everything was all that bad.  A LOT of things were going right!  At least our baptismal candidates showed UP!  Then the worst of it all hit when our sweet old ladies couldn't get themselves all the way under the water.  Actually only one of them ended up getting baptized...the second one now has high blood pressure and a bad head ache and we're waiting on renting a swimming pool to help her recieve this important ordinance)

the elders knew it and without saying they wanted to calm me down, just helped me laugh it off. Then yesterday when our plans got messed up and we weren't going to be able to eat all day, another set of elders brought us dinner at the chapel! Just thinking about my district makes me want to cry. I love them! I love Warsaw! Seriously, thank-you, President for inspiring the Elders of Poland, Warsaw Mission to be men. They are awesome.
 Yep!So that was a bunch of random information, but I'm going on an exchange today! We listen to conference talks in the morning as a companionship and I LOVE IT.  It gives me thinking food for the rest of the day. I know God lives and loves us!  I am so grateful for refining experiences and how much God trusts me even though I'm so weak!  I love you guys so much!
- Amber Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment