Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Widow, A Wizard, and a Father's Prayer

The Widow
She told us that if she didn't have God in her life, she doesn't know how she'd be here now.  When her baby was only three months old (i think), her husband died suddenly, and she was left to raise her son by herself.  She had to depend on God.  And later, her son got really sick, he was in the hospital for days, then months, and those months turned into years.  She had to depend on God.  Then he got better, she knew it was a miracle.  Now he's healthy, off with friends doing fun summer things.  She got re-married, and she's still smiling.  Her son is about 26.  She met with us!  She is such a great example!  Aaah!  I love her, and I pray that she will accept the gospel.
 
The Wizard
Well, he's actually a Father from the Catholic Church, but they dress in those cool long black or brown dress-looking-things, ok it's like a cloak, and they look like wizards.  We were at a place where the tramwaj goes by and the light was red, I thought for sure he would stop...but he didn't :)  I thought about it just for a minute, then later a couple days later, I was trying to hand someone an ulotka and I'm pretty sure I started crossing the street on a green, but when I looked up it had turned red.  I felt guilty, for judging the catholic priest, and for being a hypocrite... However, we can learn from this that people are always watching you.  So don't break rules, especially when someone thinks that FOR SURE you aren't going to!  Be the bigger man/woman and let's be obedient!
 
A Father's Prayer
Well, we weren't sure where to go last night, well that means that Saturday night planning we weren't sure where to plan to go Sunday night.  We decided that it felt good to go and visit a couple, well we go there last night and no one had been listening for a while... then BAM!  We saw this guy in a park między the buildings and we stopped to talk to him.  The light was getting dimmer and dimmer as we talked to him but he was so nice and so open.  He was about dad's age and writing something on a peice of white printer paper.  As we told him the story of Joseph Smith and quoted scriptures to him and talked about the Bible, I saw that he knew his bible well, he wrote down the James 1:5 reference!  And he was just intrigued by the fact that we could speak polish too, he asked probably like 5 times where we learned polish.  We get that a lot - people wondering if we have Polish parents or grandparents or what not... NOPE od zero uczyłyśmy się!  It's so cool!   Anyways, in the end he told us he would chętnie read the book of mormon and pray about it!  He said he's SEARCHING!  AND he said that he was writing a letter to his daughter because he was trying to figure out how to have a better relationship with her.  I really felt like we were an answer to a father's prayer last night.  And he's so cool.  I hope that his relationship with his teenage daughter gets better, that she's nicer to him, because he really does love her.  I hope that he reads - we gave him Alma 41 where Alma speaks to his son who isn't exactly in line either.  The father told us that we were like three angels - an adventure he hadn't expected.  We ended the conversation with a prayer and left the conversation on a high!  I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!
 
The Mountain Man
We also had a lesson with one of the coolest people I've ever met this week.  I met him at a stop light close to the Rynek a couple days back.  He has longish strawberry blonde hair, fairly sunburned skin, and bright blue eyes that kind of bore into your soul.  He was on his bike, looked like a rock-climber, and I don't even know what I said to him, but we talked about God and that I was a missionary and that we wanted to meet sometime.  He agreed.  We also talked about rock-climbing.  Oh man.  He's so cool!  So he wanted to meet in a park, so we set up to meet back where we'd met the first time.  The morning of our meeting I looked up some scriptures that had to do with Mountains in them, and I kept coming across scriptures about the Holy Ghost that morning as well - AAAAHHH I love the SPIRIT!!!! - - Well we were on our way to this meeting and we're talking to this lady on her bike (yes contact people on bikes, it works) and she was just wrapping up our conversation when Maciej comes whizzing by on his bike.  He slams on the brakes and says hi and was about to keep going to meet us there but I just said 'hey let's just go up to AWF if you want, wait for a sec.' So we finished our conversation with Barbara and went on with Marcin to walk to the AWF park.  We shared a first with him and he seemed to like it, he had really good comments.  He told us about how he prays up in the mountains and how his life has been really hard and that he's a black sheep and bunktował przeciw Bogu, but I don't see much of the rebel in him.  He seems really humble.  We talked about how reading the scriptures is important.  He believes he doesn't need the scriptures as much as just fervent prayer and listening to what God says to him - but that God doesn't say things as much as he helps us feel things.   He said he thinks he can get an answer from god if the book of mormon is true with out reading it - i've never thought of that... maybe with faith like that, you can!  It was such an interesting conversation.   And the things I studied seemed to really fit with his personality.  He says he likes to spend time with people who are calm because they don't suck his energy.  He says he's a vampire when it comes to energy - cool... He really is super SUPER chill, Jenny Williams would get a long with him well too... anyways, so I look up this verse in the Bible, where God comes to Elisha not in the wind and not in the fire but through a still small voice, and I can't FIND it!  Haha, I didn't really think i was worried about it that much, but he was all like, 'calm down, it's fine' - so I guess I was giving off nervous vibes.  I know I was giving off nervous vibes.  Anyways, just being around this guy made all three of us just realize that life could be so much more chill. We can just be calm.  The Scriptures say, 'be still and know that i am god' - and man, we learned that from him.  At the end we asked if we could pray with him and he said we could pray but he wasn't sure if he wanted to.  We always try to encourage them to because we know there is so much power in prayer, so I asked again and told him that he could do it.  He agreed and waited for some people to pass us on their bikes.... then he takes off his bike-riding gloves, and comes in front of us and crouches down and asks if we could hold hands... okay not sure what to do here... but we said okay, so the four of us hold hands and he says the most amazing prayer I've ever heard.  It was so heart-felt and he prayed for us a lot - that we'd have strength, that God would put good and kind people in our path, and then he paused and told God that he could also put hardened people in our path that have the capacity to change!  Ah, man, it was so cool.  And the energy was like EVERYWHERE.  I KNOW that God exists, can I get a Halleluljiah! :) Can't spell hallelujah, but that's okay... Anyways, such a cool experience, and we were all so calm afterwards, so nice.  Then he texted us later that day with the SCRIPTURE I couldn't find.  We got him to look up a scripture!  Yay!!!! :) anyways, he's getting baptized.... we hope!
 
 Moroni the Hell Shaker
I was reading about Moroni this week, what a driven individual!  I love him!  I want to be more like him, so dedicated!  
 
THREE OF US ON MISSIONS!!!
I am feeling some of this weird pain that nathan is gone. It's so weird!  I can't even wrap my mind around it.  But this week when I have the usual conversation of how many brothers and sisters do you have are they all in the states no one is in brazil... and then I've got one in MEXICO!  YEAH!  It's so fun.  I love telling people that three of us are on missions.  The church is SO true!  I'm so excited to hear from Nate.  And Scott!  :) Tonja wrote me, she's so cute.  And Laura Williams wrote me this week, that brought me joy!  And Brother Roberts wrote, tell him thanks!
 
Well, anyways, I have so much more to say!  But I already wrote a ton, so just know that I love you all!  The work is moving forward.  Lives are being changed!
Kocham was!
-Siostra Amber Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment