Monday, October 8, 2012

And then the WORLD got turned UPSIDE DOWN!!!

So, it's Saturday night in Poznań and the Elders call us... three times...while we were planning...and PRAYING even... Haha... we rejected and ignored their calls until after planning and prayer and then we called them back.  What's up?  Starszy Skolimowski starts out by saying, 'have you heard the big news?'  '"No, what?"  'President Monson's announcement, you haven't heard it?'  'NO, WHAT IS IT!?'  - so he's on speaker phone, we hadn't got to watch conference but the Elders watched it with their english speaking investegator at the Reed's apartment - and then he drops the bomb, 'They announced that Elders can now serve at age 18 and girls at age 19.'  'WHAT!!!'  ARE YOU KIDDING?!  Sister Folsom and I sort of...errupted... haha it was very LOUD to say the least in our apartment that night.  After a few seconds of freaking out, I realized they could be pulling our leg.  They've done it before... so we checked for understanding, like a good missionary should, and then decided to check in with a different source, out of the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses, you know?  So we actually rudely hung up on the elders and called Elder Reed who then CONFIRMED this craziness.  We couldn't stop thinking about it.  It was really hard to get to sleep.  I haven't wanted to call my family and Jenny so much in the last six months as I did last night.  I just wanted to talk to you guys so bad about this!  NATHAN!  I did the math and if you leave in July, that means I won't see you for a total of like 3 years and four months.  That really stinks.  But I'm willing to give you up for the Lord.  Besides, sacrifice brings for the blessings, right?  SCOTT!  Have you talked to Scott much about it?  You said you felt like you lost a year of your life, I just kept thinking about you, Nate, and wondering how you were feeling, if you could sleep Saturday night alright.  I think my head would be spinning.  This is going to completely CHANGE things, you know that?  Mormon culture is going to be so different.  And SO many more girls are going to serve.  Jenny!  man, I read your letter today and just cried.  I'd wanted to cry for you when I heard the news on Saturday but I was too excited to cry.  Today, I guess I was just in the mood and have now been able to cry  --cry for happiness that you get to go now and you don't have to wait like I did (if that is, of course, what the 'man upstairs' has in store for you).  Then again, like my Mom said, I definitely was supposed to go on a mission when I went, because that was what was supposed to happen.  I'm so grateful that I met Sarah and Laura and Stirling and Tyler and Bobby and the 8th Ward and learned to play the guitar and everything, no regrets!  Such a good life, I'm leading!  You know that?  WE are SOOOOoooooo BLESSED!  I guess I cried about that too, mom's letter just made me smile and cry.  She has such a strong testimony.
 
Yep so the Lord is preparing an ARMY, you know that?  An army  of young, prepared people.  Let me tell you, Nathan, Scott, Jenny, and who ever else is thinking about serving now - YOU ARE READY.  God wouldn't have changed the time period if he didn't know who was on the earth, RIGHT NOW to send out.  God loves you and, like President Monson said yesterday, he's in the very details of our lives.  (By the way I did get to watch Sunday morning session - and just the segment from Saturday's session when the prophet made that announcement.)
 
Dad, you asked if I'm tired.  Well sometimes I feel tired, expecially now that my legs and feet are realizing what they got themselves into... I do need to go buy some new boots and my favorite pair of shoes are almost worn out as of right now!   But generally, especially on lessons, I'm not near as tired because I can actually understand most of the conversation and I try to add in more things than I used to.  So that's good. 
 
You also asked about service opportunities.  We were able to move a dresser drawer thingy for a lady the other day who needed it moved...um... and I'm sure there's other things we've done as service but for the most part we don't really have any planned things.  I wish we did.  Sometimes after people rejecting us so much all I want is just someone to serve.  I love it when an old lady is walking slowly with tons of groceries and we just get to help her, it feels so good to just simply SERVE because a lot of the time I just feel like I'm bothering people.
 
Transfers are on the 26th of October, so my companion will leave me the 25th or so.  I'm a bit nervous, sad that sister Folsom is leaving, but definitley ready for some change up in here.  I really hope I get to stay in Poznań for the holidays at least.  I love this place so much.  It's so beautiful.  The leaves are starting to change and the people, I love the people here, and the lay out of the city, and the branch, and just... EVERYTHING!  I LOVE IT!  This is my city, definitley was meant to be here.
 
O.k. well, I feel like I haven't shared enough spiritual things, I am a missionary after all.  Just know that FAMILY is so important.  Oh my goodness it's so important.  I recieved a letter from Rishi this week and one from Katherine's family a while ago and I just LOVED getting those letters and recieving e-mails from you all today.  I'm so grateful that God has given us FAMILIES.  We got to meet with a family this week, actually, and I think it may be the first actual FAMILY who we've met with ALL TOGETHER.  We meet at the homes of families sometimes, but only one of the parents listens or something... so this was actually a young mom and dad, with their baby in the room, he's like 10 months old and named after his dad - SO CUTE!  They were so fun.  I'm so grateful for the opportunity we had to TEACH them!  I honestly didn't think that lesson would go through - it's always the lessons you don't think will go through that do.  So God wants you to just LOVE your families, try to find ways to serve them, know that you were put in YOUR family for a reason and God loves you so much.  I want to be with my family forever and I'm going to miss Nathan alot but at least we can still write, eh? 
 
Man, there was so much else I was going to write, but my time's up.
Love you all tons,
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the ONLY true church on the earth today.  I know it as much as I know that I have blue eyes and blonde hair - speaking of which, do we have Norwegian ancestors?  Several people this week told me I look Norwegian!
O.k. Dozobaczenia
-Siostra Amber Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment