Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Ode to President and Sister Nielson

Well, I wrote a letter to President Nielson today, good-bye's are so hard! 
 
 
Wtorek, 18ego, Czerwca:
     Well, we had a lesson with a lady who said she's been raised in the Catholic church and she'd rather stay that way, that was a sad meeting.  She wouldn't even take a Book of Mormon.  Then our plans got whirl-winded and instead of having the "Member-Lesson" we'd planned (aka having a member with you on a lesson) we had the lesson with the investegator and the one with the member seperately at completely different times.  It was a hard day.  But the best thing about the day was the Blue Earrings Story.
 
          "The Blue Earrings"
       As I got onto the tramwaj, I knew I had to talk to the woman sitting there within the first thirty seconds of standing by her or I'd slowly loose courage and it'd just get harder.  So I immediately talked to her about the Book of Mormon and shared a brief bold statement about it's truthfullness and meaning to me.  She was not interested.  No big deal, I'll just talk to the next person... or maybe I ought to make her feel loved...? (that's always my dilemma, go on to the next person, or make sure that first one knows that I'm not just a robot handing out fliers about my church.)  I decided to talk to her, and she was very nice and up for small talk.  We exchanged pleasantries and talked about how she was married and how people in Poland wear their wedding rings on the right hand instead of the left (yeah cool, huh!)... etc., etc... Then it was her tram stop.  She stood up to leave and I figured I'd tell her how much I liked her blue earrings because I'd noticed them from the very first minute we began our conversation.  I hurried to tell her that I liked her earrings as a 'by the way' compliment and a good bye statement... Well, all of a sudden she stops, puts her baggage down, and pulls these cute blue dangly earrings out of her ears!  Somehow they ended up in my hands and I tried to say no, but somehow, there they were, and she was gone... The tram pulled away without another word... It was the oddest sensation.  I looked there in my hands and couldn't believe it.  She had just given them to me.  She didn't even KNOW me!  And yet she gave them to me because I told her I liked them... I wanted to cry.  No one had ever been so nice to me, especially not in that way, and I was seriously taken aback.  I couldn't get that incident out of my mind and replayed it over and over... should I have refused, and tried to give them back?  Followed her off the tramwaj to give them back?  Did I say thank-you?  Would I do the same?  Would I have the guts to just give something that I'd earned or bought or loved?  Then I thought of the Savior.  He has the same loving attitude that this woman had.  He loves us unconditionally and without holding back.  As soon as you say 'Lord I love thee, but I'm lost and I need your help' - He was willing to die for us, and take away our sins, if only we just ask.  And all we have to do is hold out our hands, let him in.  LET HIM IN.  I think sometimes it's hard for me to let others help me.  I want to help myself.  But really we need to let the Savior in.  Let him serve you, succor you.  Think about him, his life, his sacrifice, and the meaning behind the Atonement, it will blow you away.
 
Środa, 19ego, Czerwca:
       This day was a fun day.  We went to the train station to wait for the Kielce Elders to show up around 8:30 in the A.M.  We sat and Sister Young and I just read out of the Book of Mormon together (Sister Bezdjian suggestion) and commented as we read.  We read in the Words of Mormon and just thought about Mormon and his situation and how awful it must have been.  I'm so glad we at least have hope that things will change in Poland.  At least we aren't all dying off and we're the last strong members of our religion and beliefs....
        After the Elders all got there, we boarded a bus heading to Katowice for Zone Conference.  Zone Conferences are always a blast, and this one was no different.  It was so great to see Sister Bezdjian and talk to her about life and leaving and craziness.... ALSO Sister and Brother Reed are there in Katowice so THAT was an extra treat.  Also Elder Rittmanic is in Kato, he's still loosing weight, it's so weird.  He really looks so different than the boy I knew at the MTC.  And as of transfers last night, he's now a Zone Leader!  Crazy! 
       O.k. I guess I'd better tell you about transfers really quick, now that you're curious!
 
TRANSFERS: SISTER YOUNG AND I ARE STAYING IN KRAKÓW and we're getting an extra companion!  So I'm double training.  I'll be training a new sister AND finishing off Sister Young's training.  It's gunna be SWEEEEEEEEEET! 
 
Anyways, the Zone Conference was SWEET!  We all had to cut up something to give to Sister Nielson for her quilt.  I also got sang to for my birthday (a little late, but hey better late than never, right?) - AND I got birthday cookies!  Homemade, chocolate chip/M&M soft cookies!   Yum!  Then the Assistants also did a really cool little segment on being united as a companionship. There are four three-somes going on in the mission this transfer, it's going to be a party.  The mission is so young.  And we have so many sisters all of a sudden!
My favorite part of the Zone Conference was President's part.  He always does such a good job and says exactly what I need to hear.  He got a bit teary-eyed at the end.  My mission president is leaving me! :(  Arg.  So that made me cry... and we all just cried... Then we had a testimony meeting.  I'll tell you.  Those testimony meetings are like heaven.  It's the best.  I gleened the following truths:
 
"Be a Better Stupid than you were yesterday." - Elder Dopp
"Learn Something new everyday" - Elder Neuner
"Serve for Three" - Elder Lanham (like put 8 years into 2, or like think of who can't serve that you're serving for - for me that'd be like maybe Rachel, and Sister Ostler, and maybe even Tasha and Tavia, not that they didn't want to serve, or that they're not serving, but you know, like think of the mission in terms of how much you can GIVE!  Just GIVE MORE!)
"Let the Book of Mormon change your life." - Elder Meherg
"Learn from and be grateful for the trials." - Elder Dodge
"Time flies.  Love and soak up every second of it." - Elder Rittmanic
"Let it ALL fall under the category of 'what does god expect' and not 'what do others,' or 'what do I expect'" - Sister Blake
"Keep Learning How much you Don't know." - Elder Blom
"Make the reason that you are here LOVE for the SAVIOR." - Elder Tiner
"Give what you LOVE." - Elder Stumpf
"Bear Testimony more frequently." - Elder Smith
"Giving up your will and accepting the Lord's = HAPPINESS." - Sister Packard
BEAM and BE EXCITED like Sister Pearson
"Preserve spiritual confirmations by writing them down." -Elder Walter
Say things like, 'I declare' and 'I bear witness' + SMILE = Miracles :) - Elder Zeleżniak
 
Aaah!  And I just keep getting these feelings this week, I'm not sure if it's just because president is leaving, or WHAT, but I get all anxy.  Like over excited so that my stomach gets all queezy.  I think that usually happens right before transfers, so maybe that's all it is.  But I also felt at that Zone Conference just how much I really love these missionaries.  We are our own little forever family.  I just know it.  We're all so COOL!  Like the coolness couldn't be contained in that room of missionaries.  I felt like exploding with awesomeness! :)  Aaaah!  Seriously.  Elder Walter and Elder Dodge and Sister Young and the members of our branch here in Kraków ALSO blow my mind.  They are just amazing.  Simply amazing.  I'm in the best place in the world.  I love being a missioary.  And I don't want to believe it could ever end.
 
Czwartek, 20ego, Czerwca:
Great, we're only on Thursday... I'm so sorry!  I just saw a letter from Jenny in The Dominican Republic! 
 

Piątek, 21ego, Czerwca:
An angry lady on the street... okay well she wasn't super angry, I've met much worse.  But you could tell there was anger inside of her, you know... and as we talked to her she was just up tight and not happy and I tried to pout it out to her.... You see she was saying that she could do whatever she wants.  That God, if he exists, doesn't have rules because why would he give us free agency AND rules AND if he's nice why would he punish us?  All these crazy questions... and she just wanted to live how she wanted to live...but she was so UNHAPPY because of it... I could feel the calmness coming off of me and the anxyness coming off of her and it was such a stark contrast.  Just another realization moment where, I KNOW THE CHURCH IS TRUE.
 
Sobota, 22ego, Czerwca:
We went to do CULTURE NIGHT! 
Also taught the Law of chastity to one of our favorite investegators... didn't go over super well...she doesn't see why the law of chastity is so important... AAah!  Satan is so good at decieving, it's crazy...
 
Niedziela, 23ego, Czerwca:
We sang a special musical number at church.  We were all nervous for transfer calls, and felt SO much better after they were done.  We get a new companion on Wednesday, I believe.  And we're not going into Warsaw to pick her up, she has to get here by herself - ADVENTURE!!!
 
And that's about it... I'm sorry I ramble, if there's things I'm missing.  I just hope you all know that I know that Christ lives and loves us.  Sister Young and I spent a lot of time last night talking about the Savior, and about our Personal Conversion.  We talked about how it was hard to pinpoint a turning point in our lives but how BIG a role FAMILY plays in our conversion.  Without you guys I wouldn't be here.  Without my amazing parents, I wouldn't even be CLOSE to here.  And without President Nielson and Sister Nielson I ALSO wouldn't be half the missionary I am today.  I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is TRUE with all my heart, no doubt about it.  Let's tell the world!
Love,
Siostra Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment